Winter is over and spring is here – the perfect time to enjoy a barbecue out in your yard. The wind will still be cool and it's ideal to have nice, warm dishes that everyone in the family can enjoy. Make these refreshing BBQ dishes perfect for spring season and you'll want them all year round!
Buttered Rosemary Radishes
What you need:
- 1 kilogram radishes (2 cups of the greens reserved)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup lightly packed mint
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- Sea salt
- Grilled bread of your choice, for serving
Melt about 4 tablespoons of the butter in a pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Combine the browned butter with remaining butter, heavy cream, lemon juice, rosemary and sea salt. Place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in a bowl and toss radishes in it. Season with sea salt. Cook on a pre-heated grill over high heat for 5 minutes or until crisp tender. Toss the grilled radishes with greens and mint then serve with bread and remaining browned butter.
Grilled Mozzarella Asparagus
What you need:
- 32 stalks large asparagus, peeled, blanched for 1 minute
- 1/4 kilogram lightly salted fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
- Chive blossoms for garnish
Mix together shallot, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons oil. Toss the asparagus in remaining olive oil. Cook asparagus on a pre-heated grill over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Divide grilled asparagus among 8 serving plates. Top each plate with mozzarella slice an chive blossoms.
Leek Spring Treat
What you need:
- 16 baby leeks, trimmed
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small ancho chilli, seeded, softened (by soaking in hot water)
- 1 roasted red pepper, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 thick slices baguette, toasted and torn into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper
Combine the tomatoes, ancho, red pepper, hazelnuts, vinegar and baguettes in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. While blending, slowly pour in 1/4 cup olive oil. Pour mixture into a bowl. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Brush leeks with oil then cook on a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until lightly charred. Serve with prepared sauce.
Make your Spring season more enjoyable with these refreshing BBQ dishes!