Staffing Your Beauty Pageant Business
Running a pageant is definitely not a one person show. It requires teamwork.
Selecting the personnel for your pageant staff doesn’t have to be complicated, and you don’t need large numbers. Here is my recommendation for staff positions:
Judges – select people from different occupations and industries to get diversity. You can also use people you work with and respect. Reigning queens love to participate because it keeps them involved and motivated with the pageant community. Your banker, hairstylist and florist should also be approached.
– This is you!
Use three judges for the childrens pageants and five for the teen and older divisions. You can also assign the title of Side Award Judge to one of your supporters. The Side Award Judge job is to distribute the extra awards and create balance among the contestants.
Emcee – You will have to supply the Emcee or Host with a Script of the pageant.
These are the key positions you need to run a pageant. You can also create other positions as you see fit. In some cases the same person will do multiple jobs. Spouses can show support by filling in at one or more positions. Remember that a good leader is also a good listener so pick people whose opinions and skills you value:
– is the front person who makes the majority of announcements and establishes the tone and flow of the show. They must be good at public speaking and have a pleasant voice. This role could be done by you, a beauty queen, or a local celebrity.
– designs and creates the program book.
– is in charge of setting up the stage and usually supervises two assistants.
– a friendly, gregarious go-getter to raise funds and acquire prizes. They will also pass out entry forms at local schools, beauty salons and even at day cares centers.
– this person picks up the judges scoring sheets from each judge at the end of each round, and hands it to the auditor. Choose ex-queens when possible as a way to keep them involved in the pageantry business.
– someone good with numbers who understands pageantry rankings.